Implosions, Hollows, Enamels, and Op-Art – Astrid Riedel
February 21 at 10:00 am - February 25 at 6:00 pm MST$300 – $1350
Marble Bead Making
- Preparing a small glass plate as a base for the decoration, (done on a punty)
- Making Wig/Wag cane -Making layered cane
- igns with enamels and spiral imprint
- Making spiky implosion in marble bead
- Shaping marbles and inserting a small screw into bead when hot. A bail with a threaded pin will be wound into it. This makes it an interchangeable bead.
- NOTE Special tool is required for this technique.
Off Mandrel Hollows
- Theory on blowing glass beads off the mandrel
- Creating round, lentil and tapered tube-shaped hollow beads off mandrel without decorations!
- Theory on expansion, example: softness/stiffness of different colors of glass
- Theory on applying different decorations on a hollow bead
- Creating hollow lentil shaped beads with decorations such as shards, enamels, and fine stringers
- Creating twisty’s and applying them to a hollow tube bead
Enamel Painting in the Flame
- Theory of when and where to heat the glass when using stringers.
- Pulling hair fine stringers
- Learning to draw straight lines and curved lines with stringers
Hip to be Square/Op-Art
- The art of creating the checkered board pattern in or on a bead
- Encasing your designs without dragging the design
- Encasing a spiral core in the bead
- Fine stringer application and heat control
- Adding 3D OP art illusions to your bead
- Learn to encase a round bead and a lentil shaped bead so no ugly sides stick out!
This class includes glass packs and lunches. We will also have a hot shop dinner the first night of class and a graduation ceremony/ dinner the second to last night of class.
Please read the class policies prior to signing up.